Any plans on using TFS?

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum
Mar 5, 2007 at 5:20 PM
I´m looking badly for a CodePlex-like Release Manager for inhouse use...
Any plans on extending SharpForge to use Team Foundation Server as SCM?

Thanks,
Bernardo Heynemann
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2007 at 8:23 AM
Do you just need to provide releases? You can continue to use TFS for version control and internal work tracking and use SharpForge for release management.

SharpForge can be installed without needing Subversion, it still has release management, forums and work item functionality.
This means you can create a release, upload files and distribute them to external users. They can also subscribe to the release rss feeds.
Your users can use the forums and work items to communicate back to you.

There are no plans to integrate with TFS for version control at the moment. If there was enough support and the requirements we thrashed out it could be prioritzed.
Mar 9, 2007 at 12:36 PM
The problem here is that I must know which workitems were added to which release, you see...
I´d like to help since I know how you can do this easily... You just have to create and Iteration in TFS for each release added to the project.
Example:
Release 0.1.0 Beta
in TFS it will be an iteration of form TeamProjectName/0.1.0 Beta/

This would add a lot of value for SharpForge in my opinion. And you can always test this integration using your own CodePlex project, since it´s a TFS project.

Other than creating an iteration it would be AWESOME if the workitem titles showed in the Release notes.
Viewing WorkItems might prove trickier, since they don´t have fixed values (only a few like title and description are fixed), but you can always provide a basic view of them, just so that people can check out what went into each release.

Hope I can help you guys out.
Great project btw. Almost everything I need from a Release Management tool.
Bernardo Heynemann
Coordinator of TFS Version Tree Browser, BHAL, WorkItem Object Mapper, NMVP, Validation Everywhere, NHibernate Business Layer and MVPGen.
Coordinator
Mar 12, 2007 at 5:44 AM
Edited Mar 12, 2007 at 5:44 AM
So does this sounds like the general use cases for this integration:

o) Create Release
creates an iteration with a given TFS Path
eg. TeamProjectName/0.1.0 Beta/

o) View Release
loads all work items matching that path & display titles & description

Create Release doesn't really need to create the iteration within TFS does it(is that what you meant)? It could just have the path it's associated with and then do a query on the fly and cache the results when the release is viewed.(I'm thinking KISS).

Any help is most appreciated.

Mar 12, 2007 at 1:44 PM
Actually it would be nice to have an option to create the TFS Iteration. It´s rather easy to do it.

But that would be the requirements, yes.

I can help in the TFS Code, since I do a lot of TFS coding.

Let me know,
Bernardo Heynemann
Coordinator of TFS Version Tree Browser, BHAL, WorkItem Object Mapper, NMVP, Validation Everywhere, NHibernate Business Layer and NMVP Software Factory (Former MVPGen).
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2007 at 12:50 PM
ok, since you know what you want better than me do you feel up to writing a brief spec for it?

Have a look at how we've being doing it for the main specificaiton http://svn.projxpert.com/SharpForge/trunk/Doc/development/Index.html.

We need the 2 use cases with a brief description, pre/post conditions, basic flow and any important alternate flows. Then I can look at what the best way to do the integration from the sharpforge end.

Cheers,
Scott.